Why You Need A Chandelier In Your Bathroom
Homeowners now pay more attention to bathroom dĂ©cor and design today than they did in the past. They want the space to look bright, welcoming, and elegant at the same time.
Unfortunately, this is easier said than done, because you may have access to a limited amount of space and, there arenâ€™t many design risks you can take.
The best way to customise your bathroom and add a touch of class to it is by choosing great lighting solutions. Installing chandeliers and other such lighting fixtures in the bathroom is the latest and most prevalent trend.
Many homeowners shy away from installing chandeliers in their bathroom because they consider these features to be ostentatious and excessive for such a small and private space.
If chosen well though, that need not be the case. so here are some things you should know if youâ€™re considering installing a chandelier in bathroom spaces
The benefits of installing a chandelier in your bathroom
Chandeliers are often installed in common areas like dining spaces and living rooms while some homeowners install them in bedrooms and libraries too. Here are some reasons why you should consider installing these fixtures in your bathroom as well:
1. Interesting design â€“ Chandeliers come in different shapes, sizes, and designs, and they can enhance the beauty of your bathroom.
Theyâ€™re a great design element to add to this space because they donâ€™t take up any floor space and still make the room appear more beautiful and elegant.
2. Relaxing atmosphere â€“ Chandeliers provide a softer, more diffused light, which is different from the harsh task lighting installed in most bathrooms.
This can soften the appearance of the space and create a more relaxing atmosphere. You can also add dimmers to the lights and lower the brightness to add a more comfortable vibe to the room.
3. More light â€“ A combination of natural light and chandelier lighting can brighten the bathroom and make it appear more welcoming.
A bright bathroom will also feel less claustrophobic and cluttered, which is why itâ€™s a good idea to install chandeliers even in smaller bathrooms.
4. Conversation starter â€“ Chandeliers are an excellent conversation starter, especially if theyâ€™re installed in unusual places like the bathroom.
Not many people add chandeliers to their bathroom spaces and your guests will be curious about what made you install one there.
5. Illusion of space â€“ The light reflecting off the chandelier crystals and the mirrors installed in the room can provide the illusion of space and make your bathroom appear bigger.
This is also advantageous in the case of more compact and darker bathrooms that donâ€™t have large windows and so have limited natural light filtering into them. If you fit the chandelier in the right location and ensure that a few clear and large mirrors are installed in the space, your bathroom will appear far more spacious than it actually is.
Many interior decorators and home improvement professionals use this trick to enhance the appearance and ambience of bathrooms in their clientâ€™s projects.
As you can see, chandeliers can offer a number of benefits; but you need to make sure these light fixtures are installed correctly to get the best results.
Factors you need to consider
There are a number of factors to consider when you attempt installing a chandelier in your bathroom. These spaces are unlike other areas in your home; thereâ€™s generally a limited amount of space, excessive moisture, water and steam here.
All these conditions can wreak havoc on the electrical fixtures in the space. This is why you need to plan the design and placement of the chandelier properly before you carry out the installation. Here are some factors you should consider:
1. Clearance â€“ The last thing you want is to bang your head against a low-hanging chandelier when you get out of your bath. Make sure thereâ€™s at least 8 feet of clearance between the bottom of the chandelier and the highest point of the bathtub or floor.
This gives you enough room to stand under the chandelier and even raise your arms without touching it.
2. Location â€“ Never place a chandelier directly above the tub or inside the shower. Make sure the light fixture is at least three feet away from the tub or shower before you carry out the installation.
This is for your own safety as the chandelier falling on the floor is relatively harmless and you can move out of the way quickly. A chandelier falling on the bathtub can lead to electrocution and serious injuries.
3. Water resistance â€“ You need to make sure the chandelier and the electrical wire leading up to it is water-resistant and tightly sealed.
If you donâ€™t take the right precautions, the moisture from the bathroom environment can seep into the electrical connections and wiring and cause corrosion.
Damaged wires and fixtures can pose a risk to you and everyone that uses the bathroom.
Experts recommend that you install a ground fault circuit interrupter or GFCI for better protection.
4. Size of the chandelier â€“ The size of your chandelier should be proportionate to the size of your bathroom. If you have a smaller bathroom with a low ceiling, consider a smaller chandelier thatâ€™ll stay relatively flush to the ceiling surface.
If you have more space and higher ceilings, you can install larger and taller chandeliers. Just make sure you have that clearance of eight feet.
You can measure the distance between the highest point on the floor and the ceiling and then subtract eight from it, the resultant number will be the maximum acceptable height of the chandelier.
5. Design â€“ As mentioned earlier, chandeliers come in different shapes, sizes, and designs. If you want to add a vintage touch to your bathroom, choose a chandelier with an ornate design.
If your bathroom has modern styling, choose a chandelier with clean and crisp styling.
As you can see, installing a chandelier in the bathroom can help brighten the space and bring more elegance to it.
If you plan the location and placement well and choose the right lighting fixture for the job, youâ€™ll have a beautiful and well-lit bathroom.